American rohu fish is an exotic species of fish. These fish are known by different names in different places. Such as tablets, swings, and crane flies. They mainly inhabit the rivers and lakes of America. The belly of this fish is quite thick compared to its body. His stomach is quite drooping.
That is why it is a little difficult to separate the male and female of this fish. They eat more underwater food. The most interesting thing is that there is no end to their body color. They are the same species of fish but come in different colors.
This fish is very profitable to cultivate commercially. The various costs including food are comparatively very low but the market price of this fish is much higher.
How to identify American rohu fish?
They live on aquatic plants, weeds, and occasionally rotten organic matter from the bottom of the water, with their mouths slightly lowered and their beaks thick. Also, fishmeal, Khail powder, Kumra, etc. are used as supplementary food during cultivation in ponds.
However, when they are young, their main food is animal particles or plankton. The belly of this fish is much larger and quite hanging down. They come in different colors. They are not too long but thicker. The weight of this fish is usually six to seven kg.
The favorite food of the American rohu fish is the plankton species. Due to their slightly downward face and thick beaks, they feed on organic matter from the bottom of the water. Also, fishmeal, Khail powder, Kumra, etc. are used as supplementary food during cultivation in ponds. However, their main food is animal particles or plankton.
The female eggs are already present in their bodies. The male sperm enters the female’s body and fertilizes the eggs. The fertilized eggs develop into young fish (fingerlings). In ponds and cages, they reach maturity within ten to twelve months.
The American rohu fish is generally brown. But sometimes they have purple reflections. These colors are less in their young because of the shade of their body. This fish is also very popular in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Palestine, and other countries like Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia as follows:
The American rohu fish come in a variety of colors, such as red, black, yellow, silver, gold, brown, and mixed colors.
It is widely used as human food, it is known as delicious and nutritious food in different countries of the world. It is also used as an aquarium fish.
Best 6 interesting facts about rohu fish
- American rohu fish lives in America, but it is not native to the United States.
- American rohu fish is one of the most popular fish in America. Apart from that, it has a great demand in the Asian and European countries.
- They live in anoxic water, which means they do not breathe oxygen like most other fish.
- American rohu fish grows very quickly and as they grow, they change into different colors.
- American rohu fish is used as an ornamental fish & it is also used in Persian and Indian cooking. Typically, this fish has a dark brown color with a white stripe running down their backs (this is when they are young) and there’s a white splash on the bottom of each eye.
- Rohu is an exotic species of fish that are known by various names such as Tablets, Rui, Swings, and Crane flies. They mainly inhabit the rivers and lakes of America.
I hope that you enjoy this post and I hope that you will come back again because there are always new posts to read! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them below.