Types of domestic birds are those that live in and around human habitation, usually on farms, backyards, or people’s homes. There are many different types of domestic birds including chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese. An estimated 1 trillion birds live on the continent of North America.
Some species such as turkeys may be raised for their meat while other species such as chickens may be raised for eggs or to provide a source of food for the family’s table. Others such as chickens may be raised for both meat and eggs. Poultry is a broad term that refers to the flesh of domestic birds. For example, chicken, turkey, duck, and quail are all considered poultry.
Types of domestic birds
The family of poultry is a group of birds that have at least one feature in common. The term “poultry” therefore refers to a family of birds and may be used interchangeably with the term “domestic fowl”. While originally an agricultural term, today it is often used as a colloquial or culinary synonym for chickens, game hens, gamecocks, and other domesticated fowl. There are many types of domestic birds named here
1. Archaeopterygidae (Sea birds): Archaeopterygidae (Sea birds) are an extinct family of primitive birds, the only clade of Palaeognathae (dinosaurs) that have a history of flight. One genus and species have been identified – the early Cretaceous Jeholornis, which was probably not capable of powered flight.
2. Anatidae (Swans): Anatidae is a diverse family of birds which contains ducks, geese, and swans. The swans’ closest relatives are the screamers; these two groups make up the waterfowl family Anatidae.
3. Galliformes (Chicken, turkey, and ducks): The Galliformes are a large order of birds in the family Phasianidae, part of the superorder Cuculiformes. Traditionally they have been divided into three suborders: the Phasianinae (goose, turkey, and chicken), the Larinae (partridge), and the Meleagridinae (pheasant, quail, and guinea fowl). The flamingoes are usually placed in their order – Phoenicopteriformes.
4. Anseriformes (Cranes, ducks, geese, and swans): Anseriformes, or anatids, is a clade that includes the majority of the waterfowl, and also many other bird groups. The name “Anseriformes” comes from a combination of the Latin words “ana”, meaning goose/goose-like, and “sera,” meaning seagull/seagull-like.
5. Perching birds like love birds: perching birds like love birds are called Psittaciformes. The group includes parrots, pigeons, doves, quail, and other birds whose diet consists almost exclusively of seeds. Pigeons and doves have large crested heads with small beaks.
Their wings usually have two or four digits and a patch of feathers or a bone on their second skeleton (hand) known as an olecranon. They are terrestrial birds, but some species live in trees.
6. Cuculiformes (Cockatoos, cranes, and storks): Cuculiformes include about 1,100 species of birds in 24 families. It is one of three suborders that include the Galliformes and Anseriformes (the other two are Neognathae and Strigopoidea).
7. Psittaciformes (Parrots, all kinds of parrots including cockatoos and macaws): Parrots are birds of the roughly 380 species in 86 genera that make up the order Psittaciformes, found in most tropical and subtropical regions.
The order is subdivided into three superfamilies: the Psittacoidea (“true” parrots), the Cacatuoidea (cockatoos), and the Strigopoidea (New Zealand parrots). Parrots have a generally pantropical distribution with several species inhabiting temperate regions in the Southern Hemisphere as well.
8. Passeriformes (Pigeons and doves): Passeriformes are a large and diverse order of birds, comprising over half of all birds. Passerida is the Latin word for “little passer” (from passer: “runner”), which describes their habit of walking rather than flying. The English name derives from Old English pasture-lark, ultimately from Late Latin passer “bird”, itself from Sanskrit pasṃra-, meaning ‘pigeon’.
Best of top10 domestic birds
The chicken is a form of domesticated fowl, a subspecies of the red junglefowl. It is one of the most widespread domestic animals, with chickens farmed for their eggs, meat, and feathers being raised by approximately 67 million people worldwide.
turkey, also known as turkey (made into meat and liver) originates from Asia.
Macaw, particular species Macrauchenia Patagonia or Cacatua Haematuropygia, is a very large tropical parrot endemic to the forests of South America. It is one of the largest birds in the parrot family. They are also kept as pets.
Ducks are birds that are part of the waterfowl family Anatidae which also includes swans, geese, and loons.
Budgerigars, also known as “budgies”, are parakeets belonging to the genus Melopsittacus, the only genus in the family Psittacidae.
The word dove derives from Middle English, which dates from Norman French. The word is related to other Old English words for a pigeon or dove and may ultimately derive from a Mediterranean language such as Hebrew, Aramaic, or Arabic.
Cocker spaniel, also known as Cookie or Socket, is the common term for several breeds of dog including:
The peafowl includes two Asiatic “species”, the blue or Indian peafowl originally of India and Sri Lanka and the green peafowl of Myanmar, Indochina, and Java.
Parrots, also known as psittacines /ˈsɪtəsaɪnz/, are birds of the roughly 372 species in 92 genera that make up the order Psittaciformes, found in most tropical and subtropical regions. The order is subdivided into three superfamilies: the Psittacoidea (“true” parrots), the Cacatuoidea (cockatoos), and the Strigopoidea (New Zealand parrots, African Grey Parrot).
The pigeon or dove family is a family of birds. Pigeons and doves are stout-bodied birds with short necks and short slender bills that in some species feature fleshy ceres. They are found in many parts of the world. It is the best domestic bird all over the world.
This is the best composition of types of domestic birds and the best domestic birds in the world. Domestic birds are very helpful to human beings. This composition is very important for also students, schoolchildren, college students, individuals, and all people who love to read and know more about types of domestic birds and the best domestic birds in the world.